Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Anime Expo 2010 - A Small Recap



I've had a pretty tiring weekend.  It was so tiring, I actually woke up today in the afternoon.  It goes to show, that Anime Expo can really take a toll on a person.  It makes me wonder how people that attend the entire expo do it.


Well, anyway, I had fun at Anime Expo as always.  I wouldn't say it was my favorite one by far, but it definitely did not disappoint.  Rather than provide a full recap of everything Jim and I did at AX, I'll talk about a few hits and misses in this year's AX.

Panels:
As panels go, there really wasn't anything I was really looking forward to except for the premiere of the Black Lagoon OVA.  The panel was delayed for awhile and ended up starting late.  On the bright side, I was able to see a pretty badass Dutch cosplay while waiting in line. Jim and I finally got in 10 minutes later; we got decent seats, but unfortunately there were people taller than me sitting right in front of me.  Needless to say, I had a pretty tough time reading the subtitles.  On the bright side, I'm somewhat caught up with the manga and knew what was going on.  I would have to say that the premiere did not disappoint.  Black Lagoon is definitely one of those series that needs to be watched rather than be read in a manga.  The animation and voice acting was great as always.  The audience definitely enjoyed Revi's rude behavior and off-color remarks, but I would have to say that the new character Fabiola stole the show.  If you have no idea how she looks, think of the typical moe maid duel wielding guns.  The premiere ended leaving the audience wanting more, which is a credit to how well done the OVA was.  I just hope that it gets released in the U.S. soon.  I believe Funimation picked it up, which is definitely a good sign.



There were other panels besides the Black Lagoon panel I attended that I'll briefly discuss.  Jim and I attended some workshop panels in hopes to improve our blogging and podcasting skills.  I for one am no journalist, so I'll gladly accept some helpful tips and constructive criticism.  Most of the things I heard during the workshop/panels were things I already knew, not that I am an expert anything.  In the end, it's all about passion, hard work, and networking.  I will definitely need to work on the latter of the three if I were ever to get really serious.  Other panels I attended consisted of future releases from Viz and and Funimation.  I don't remember much from the Viz panel other than them pushing Naruto and Bleach.  The Funimation panel was more interesting; they played around 5-8 clips from upcoming anime.  I was hoping to find "the next Kenichi" but I didn't see anything too exciting.  Out of all the upcoming shows, My Bride is a Mermaid is something I want to check out.  I'll probably end up stealing it from JIm one of these days.

Exhibit Hall:
The exhibit hall is always something I look forward to at AX, but this year I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of selection.  Jim informed me that there were less exhibitors due to some extra charges for bringing merchandise in.  In the end, that was kind of a downer because this was the first AX I had cash to spend with nothing to spend it on.  I ended up spending about 3/4 of my time walking aimlessly hoping to find merchandise from shows like Toradora, Bamboo Blade and the Familiar of Zero.  I did find some figures, but they were rip offs.  All was not lost though, I ended up with a Dom from Mobile Suit Gundam and Yui from K-on. 

Well, that wraps up things for my recap.  I hope you enjoyed the read.  Jim and I will try to put out our recap podcast by the end of the week.  Also, we plan on covering some shows from the upcoming summer season.  More in a later post.

Hits:
  • Black Lagoon
  • Random loot:  Dom, Toradora Box Set 1, Yui
  • Dutch cosplay

Misses:
  • Gimped exhibit hall
  • Smelly people
  • Bad cosplay (I'll spare you from the details)

No comments:

Post a Comment